Monday, October 27, 2008

Christmas Gifts

Boy am I on one tonight. I cannot sleep, I MUST rant. My current disgust has to do with the exchange of Christmas presents. I up until this year have been guilty of what I am going to protest.
Why do we insist on having a set dollar amount when exchanging gifts? Doesn't this take away from the true meaning of Christmas? Not that there really was a Little Drummer Boy, But was his gift any less valuable to the savior because it wasn't costly? No! He played his drums for him. Which to me is even more meaningful. Do Gold, Frankincense and Mir all cost the same? I don't even know what the last two are but I bet they vary in price.
Every single person is in a different place in their lives, how can we be expected to spend the same amount?
I don't remember this, but I don't doubt it validity. A couple years ago my sister made homemade gifts for everybody. Apparently we complained and got upset at her because it wasn't fair that she didn't spend the $75 we had decided on. Why should it be fair? She is a single mother of 2.
When we give neighbor gifts, Do we go around the neighborhood asking what everybody is going to spend on us? Do we say to our children, I am spending $100 on you, I hope you have been saving your allowance? Our unconditional love for them is why we do it. Their happiness from the gifts is their gift to us. Why don't we continue this policy with everybody in our lives?

This Christmas I genuinely do not care if I have nothing to open. I want Christmas to be about Christ and the spirit of Giving. I wish I had felt this way years earlier. This year I am not putting a price tag on Christmas.

4 comments:

jamie lynette said...

We donated to a charity one year in the name of my family. And they all attacked us the next year that all we gave them the year before was a piece of paper.

jamie lynette said...

Ok I must admit all growing up I was a complainer and greedy. I probably still am to an extent, but I'm working on it.

We've been having similar feelings about how we need to focus more on Christ and what Christmas is all about (rather than who gives the better gift). I guess that means we need to teach the next generation so they don't have similar complaints.

Likely said...

I know!!!!! I love that you have this ranting blog by the way.

I was just saying to my mother in law how the whole presents thing is so stressful sometimes. BLAH! Christmas shouldn't be stressful at all. And everything shouldn't be even steven, matchy matchy...

I remember my mom stressing in all of our childhood years that every shild had the same amount of presents to open. poor mommy.

thank you for your thoughts. I wish more people could read this message.

Emily said...

Hey there. I'm trying to tie up loose ends for the auction for Nie held a few weeks ago, and you won the basket of Mac makeup! Congratulations! Can you email me and we can figure out payment and how to get the goods from my living room to you!

Thanks for your generosity.

emilygcraig@hotmail.com